Who doesn’t love a nice big bowl of warm, delicious oatmeal? Let’s face it, oatmeal is a great, nutritious breakfast, perfect for those cold winter mornings. But, those calories and carbs add up pretty quick, even for a relatively small bowl of oatmeal. The solution? Cauliflower oats!
Don’t be alarmed by the fact that it has cauliflower in it, it tastes like a big, warm bowl of your favorite oats, just with 4x the volume! The cauliflower taste is masked by a bit of flavor, and the texture is pretty similar to oats.
Base Cauliflower Oats Recipe:
- 150-250 g of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 20g old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cashew milk (or milk of choice, or water)
- 100g egg whites
- Stevia (not optional, will mask the cauliflower taste. You can sub for an alternative sweetener)
- Flavorings (see notes)
- In a microwave safe bowl, add cailiflower and water.
- Microwave for 3 minutes.
- While that’s microwaving, combine oats, cashew milk, and egg whites in another microwave safe bowl.
- When the cauliflower is done, take it out and put the oats+milk+egg whites mixture into the microwave. While the oats are cooking, blend the cauliflower into rice sized pieces.
- Microwave throat mixture for 1 minute, stir, 45 seconds, stir, and then 30 second increments, stirring inbetween, until it looks something like this (edit: cook your egg white oats on defrost for amazingly voluminous, creamy results!)
- Stir again and add cauliflower and flavorings
- Transfer to a large bowl and top with whatever you want.
Notes: the flavorings are not optional, they will mask the cauliflower taste. I used sugar free/ fat free cheesecake pudding mix, caramel extract, and pumpkin pie spice. Something as simple as vanilla extract will work just fine.
The macros for this recipe are 4F 30C 18P (adding the pudding mix adds 6 carbs) for a BIG bowl of oats! I topped it with Back to Nature cinnamon sticks, Special K Blondie bites, almond butter, and a Quest Cravings peanut butter cup.