Yes, it’s February, long past when Pumpkin Spice season is supposed to end. Buuuut I don’t believe in anything that separates me from my pumpkin spice noms. These oats are, of course, super high volume, with the addition of cauliflower and super delicious.
To add the cauliflower, I normally rice them in my food processor after I steam them, but my grandmother sent my a Food Mill to try. My grandmother loves buying me things that she thinks I need and insists on me keeping them. So, instead of lettting it sit in my cabinet wasting away, I decided to give it a try. It works, but it is a lot more effort then just blending it. I’ll hae to find another way to utilize this generous gift.
Back to the oats, there is another thing that makes these oats especially voluminous. COOKING ON DEFROST! I learned this from @tissssshh on instagram. It not only makes it easier because you don’t have to stir them every minute, but it makes them blow up to enormous proportions. This bowl of oats was around 5 cups. Yeah, thats a lot of oats. And its for the same amount of calories as one of those flavored Quaker oatmeal packets, but with more protein, fiber, and VOLUME!
Another great way to jazz up your oats in by using tea instead of water or cashew milk when you cook the oats. I used Vanilla Chai Tea to add the chai flavor to these oats. YUM!
Chai Pumpkin Spice Oats Recipe:
- 1/4 cup (20g) rolled oats
- 120g (1/2 cup) egg whites
- 300g (1/2 head) cauliflower, or to desired volume
- 1 cup Chia Vanilla Tea (can sub for liquid of choice)
- 1/2 cup (122g) pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Stevia, to taste
- Brew tea.
- Steam cauliflower by putting in microwave safe bowl and add a couple TB of water. Microwave for 5 minutes.
- Add oats, egg whites, and tea to a medium sized microwave safe mixing bowl (or really large normal bowl). When Cauliflower is done steaming, put oats in the microwave and cook on defrost for 8 minutes.
- While the oats are cooking, blend/ rice the cauliflower.
- When the 8 minutes are up, add pumpkin and stir it into the oats. Cook on defrost for another 4 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, stevia, cinnamon, and any other flavoring you might desire.
7. Top with your favorites and enjoy!
Macros for oatmeal (without toppings): 2F 43C (12 Sugar, 13 Fiber) 22P
I topped mine with pecan pie G Butter, a cinnamon fiber one square, and Bare Naked cinnamon protein granola.