Sorry for the week long hiatus; this week has been a long string of trial and error with a couple of recipes that I have been working on for you guys. Though the recipes are coming along, I never post anything until it is top-notch. That being said, this recipe started as a pancake, and while eating them I realized that they tasted a lot like donuts… and thus, PROTEIN DONUTS WERE BORN!
These contain a Oat Bran Waffle and Pancake Mix, but feel free to sub a pancake mix of choice. I also use PEScience protein in this recipe, which I have mentioned before as my favorite protein-they have amazing macros, taste, flavors, and bake super well- but any protein blend should work. Whey protein will also work, though it may come out a bit dryer.
Here’s the recipe!
Protein Donuts Recipe:
- 1 serving (32g) cookies and cream PEScience Select Protein (Sub flavor and/or brand of choice)
- 1 serving (1/4 cup; 35g) Arrowhead Mills Oat Bran Waffle and Pancake Mix (see note)
- 1/4 cup Stevia in the Raw (or sweetener of choice, to taste)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 140g (1/2 cup+ 2 TB) egg replacer (I use Egg Beaters “Original” egg white product)
- 2 TB (30g) unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 TB (30 mL) water
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray donut pan (mine makes 6 small donuts, about 4 inches each in diameter).
- Mix all dry ingredients in bowl. Mix in wet ingredients to form a relatively thin batter.
- Pour batter into donut molds. I had a bit leftover so i microwaved it for 20 seconds to get a sneak peek at what my donuts would taste like. then I got thoroughly excited because it tasted GOODDDD 🙂
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and devour.
Makes 6 donuts, each with macros: 0.5F 4C (1 Fiber 0.5 Sugar) 8P
I topped mine with my healthy dark chocolate sauce. (2 TB cocoa powder+2-3 packets stevia+water to consistency) YUM
Hope you enjoy!
PS this was my creation for 2016 International Donut Day!