Protein cookies are on the menu today! I try to always have a protein bar like a Questbar for my post workout fuel, but sadly today I found out that I am out of protein bars?? It’s tragic, but I decided to get creative and make some Protein Cookies instead. These cookies have a macro nutrient profile close to that of an average protein bar (except for the super low sugar and super high fiber content), but they are warm, homemade, and well, they are made of things that I had in my kitchen. These cookies are based off of my base recipe for Vitafiber Protein Cookies but I added pretzels and used Quest Nutrition Salted Caramel protein powder to create this fabulous flavor.
This recipe is single serve, but feel free to double, triple, or quadruple it if you are making cookies for more than one -or are in the mood for a whole dozen ! 😉
Also, I should note that the VitaFiber IS A NECESSARY INGREDIENT, and is also an artificial sweetener derived from tapioca starch. It is very low carb and mostly made of fiber. That is why the fiber content of these cookies are so high. However, this sweetener may cause stomach issues for some people (my stomach does not seem to be affected) and should be used in small amounts. If you are curious, you can see my base recipe post for Vitafiber Protein Cookies to read further about why I use this ingredient in my cookies. Now, onto the recipe!
Salted Caramel Protein Cookie Recipe:
- 5 tsp (25g) VitaFiber Syrup
- 1 tsp (4g) light butter spread (I use Smart Balance brand)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 scoop (14g) Salted Caramel Quest Protein
- 10g (about 8) gluten free mini pretzels
- Preheat oven to 350F. Deposit VitaFiber syrup and butter and to a bowl and microwave for 10 seconds, until slightly bubbly.
- Add baking powder and protein and combine into dough.
- Crumble pretzels and fold into dough.
- Make 2-3 balls of dough and lightly press them onto sprayed baking sheet (or parchment paper). I like mine to be about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake until bottom is a dark brown. THE TOPS WILL NOT LOOK ALL THE WAY DONE! That’s ok! Take them out and let them sit for 5 minutes(ish) and then enjoy! They are best when warm.
Macros for recipe (Makes 2-3 cookies): 180 calories 2F 29C (18 Fiber, 1 Sugar) 11P