If you ever have the urge to eat a whole 8 inch cake in one sitting, this is a recipe for you. My guess is that that means that this is a recipe for everyone 😉
Okay, so before I share this recipe I should mention that this is not my recipe. This recipe was made by Cait over at The Macro Experiment and she is genius! So, if you are going to credit anyone to this recipe, it’s her. However, I wanted to share it with you guys to further spread the knowledge of this amazing recipe.
And one other thing. The eggs MUST be real egg whites. The egg whites from a carton are pasturized to make them safe for raw consumption, but that process also inhibits them from whipping like a fresh raw egg white. So trust me, use the real deal.
Protein Angel Food Cake Recipe:
- 7 large egg whites, room temperature and from a real egg, not a carton
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup stevia, or to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 serving (16g) protein powder (I use PEScience or Quest Nutrition – you can sub powdered peanut butter, which works beautifully as well)
- Bring eggs to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a cake pan (the smaller the diameter, the thicker/taller the cake. I reccommend a 6 inch and deep casserole dish or an 8 inch classic cake pan.)
- Add egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla, and stevia to a large mixing bowl and beat on high until high peaks form. It should take 5-10 minutes, and get really big and fluffy.
- Fold in protein powder last. Be careful not to over mix, as it could loose some of its fluffiness. It is okay if it is not perfectly mixed in.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Let it cool for 5 minutes, and enjoy!
Macros for entire cake (using PEScience Gourmet Vanilla Protein): 1F 4C (2 Sugar 0 Fiber) 38P
I hope you enjoy Cait’s recipe as much as I do!